August was a crazy month.
From my birthday to going back to online school to disappearing from the blogiverse to the end of summer to wildfire season… I truly can’t think of a better word to describe my month!*
So today, I’m here with a very late wrap-up for everything that happened in August, including life, blogging, and the little writing I was actually able to get done.
And hi, I’m back from another unplanned hiatus!! It’s been so long since I even drafted a post, but just typing these words makes me so happy because I missed blogging. 🥺 I’ll talk more about what you can expect from my content later on in this post, but hopefully, I won’t be disappearing again anytime soon.
*also, school has taken away all my braincells and i had no idea what else to write for this intro :))
My birthday was at the beginning of August, and I’m so grateful that my family and friends made it special for me!! I went on a little (socially-distanced) trip to a nearby beach, and you can see, it was such a beautiful day. In fact, this posts’ featured image is actually one I took at the beach! Also, shoutout to my bestie (🐦) for baking a delicious cake and making such a stunning scrapbook of memories!!
And then… I went back to online school. While I am glad that my school is trying to make the learning experience better than how things abruptly ended last school year, it’s still so different (and awkward). The district is making us use Canvas and Webex, and I don’t understand why they didn’t go with Google Classroom and Zoom?? Plus, teachers can now make assignments due on the weekend and are giving us so much work 🙃🙃
However, I am so thankful that I’m able to learn during these crazy times and am privileged enough to have access to the tools I need for school!
Also, I’m pretty sure this was because of the dry lightning storms that happened a few weeks ago, but wildfire season started early in California. The fires in August were so, so terrible and the air quality has been bad for weeks. (As you can see on the right, the sun was an eerie bright red for a few days.) It’s devastating to hear about the families who have to evacuate their houses in the middle of a global pandemic; I’m really hoping that things will get better soon!
I listened to practically only Taylor Swift’s folklore this month, but towards the end of August, I also got into K-Pop for the first time? BTS’s new song Dynamite is so fun, and I also started listening to (and loving) Blackpink!
As for what I’m currently watching, I flew through Avatar: The Last Airbender in August and am almost done with the show!! It’s so, so amazing – the characters have my entire heart and I’m probably going to cry when it’s over. 😭
Overall, in the words of Taylor Swift, August really did slip away into a moment in time! I still can’t get over the fact that it’s already September?!
Surprisingly, even through all of the craziness of August, I was able to have a good reading month! I mentioned this in my last wrap-up, but I feel like I’m really getting to know my taste and what books I’ll like. In fact, I rated all of the books I read in August 4 stars or higher! 😌
This was the perfect read to start off my month! The deeper themes and topics explored combined with Adam and Zeyneb’s beautiful relationship make Love From A To Z a book I can’t recommend enough.
This was my first Elizabeth Acevedo book, and now I can see what all the hype is about!! Emoni was a truly wonderful character to read about, and I found myself really enjoying every second. Plus, the food descriptions were so good 😭
Ever since I finished When The Moon Was Ours, Anna-Marie McLemore became one of my favorite authors, and after reading Wild Beauty, I love them even more! While I’m not sure if I enjoyed this more than WTMWO, it was still a stunning story about family, identity and more.
I finished this one so quickly; it just has that special charm that makes it something you don’t want to put down!! While I had a few problems with some things the main character did, Seb and Tanner’s relationship was just 🥺🥺
This was written in such beautiful verse, and I loved reading about Veda’s story as a dancer. Elements of Indian culture wove together with themes of finding yourself and not giving up, and I couldn’t have asked for anything better.
This is another book about dance, but also about self love, appreciation, and how you should never let anyone else define your worth for you! Skye was an absolutely amazing main character who I adored reading about 💕
You all know from my last wrap-up that when it came to writing this summer, I was… well, struggling is a good way to put it. :(( I barely made any progress on my WIP for the past few months, except for the ideas swirling in my head.
In August, I unfortunately had the same problems!! However, the advice everyone left me on my last wrap-up helped a lot, and I decided to take a break from my current project to write a short story. I only got a little bit done in August, but here’s a short snippet:
Can you tell I was trying out a new writing style? 😇 But I’m happy with how this story is turning out and I hope I can finish it this month!
You already know this, but I… basically disappeared from the blogosphere for a few weeks in August/September! I’m so happy to be back, but I can’t promise consistent posts, especially because online school has been crazy. This will probably mean that I’ll be posting less often, but like I said before, I will try my best not to disappear.
However, I did start a bookstagram account that I’ll probably be more active on!! It was a really spur-of-the-moment decision, but it’s been a lot of fun so far. You can go follow me @starlightstrands! (I also started an art/personal account @aetheric.pages that you can also follow!) 🥺
Also, the new WordPress block editor is absolutely horrible and I don’t think I’ll be able to get used to it anytime soon, so I apologize if the formatting of my posts is a little off from now on!
On a much happier note, voting for Fourth Annual Book Blogger Awards took place in August and I’d just like to say a huge thank you to everyone who nominated and/or voted for me!! It means the absolute world. 🥰 (The winners were technically announced in September, but I won for Best Blog Aesthetic and I just… cannot believe it!!! I’m extremely grateful and I honestly don’t know what else to say other than thank you so, so much. ❤️)
Just a reminder that your worth as a blogger is obviously not defined by winning an award! In the amazing words of the hosts, your voice always, always matters.
MY POSTS IN August (CLICK ON THE GRAPHIC TO READ THEM)
AROUND THE COMMUNITY…
(These are mostly posts from early August because I sadly wasn’t able to interact much towards the end of the month!)
- Caitlin created a wonderful guide to stanning book blogs, and if you’re considering starting a book blog, definitely check out her post!
- Nyx discussed why she rates most of her books 4 stars, and I found myself agreeing with so many of the points she brought up!
- Eleanor wrote such an eloquent post about two heroines of classic literature and it made me want to pick up a classic right away!
- Chana and Malka posted an extremely clever and funny urban dictionary for the book community, and I had so much fun reading it!
- Vaishnavi returned from her hiatus and I’m so, so happy to see her posts in my Reader again!!
- Post at least 4 times on the blog ❌ Haha… this worked out terribly…
- Upload at least 2 youtube videos ❌ I only posted one (you can it watch here 👀)
- Read at least 6 books ✅ I read exactly 6 and am really proud of myself!
- Work out every day ✅❌ I meant this goal more as “at least get a little bit exercise every day,” and in those terms, I did (kind of) accomplish it?
- Create a better planning system and get organized for school ✅❌ I started using Google Calendar but then just… stopped in the middle of the month.
- Learn how to ollie higher and better! ✅❌ I didn’t practice as much as I thought I would, but I’m able to practice on the concrete now without falling, which is a huge step for me! 😇
- Create and stick to an early morning routine ❌ I am not a morning person, and I’ve been trying to get as much sleep as I can… even on school days.
- Actually, you know, write things other than blog posts ✅❌ I mean, I started a short story and tried to work on my WIP? (ignore how all of these goal reflections are just me defending myself lol)
- Post at least 3 times on the blog!
- Post at least 2 youtube videos
- Read 4+ books (I’m setting a fairly low goal but I hope I’ll be able to read more!)
- Stay on top of schoolwork!! (don’t procrastinate)
- Learn + set up Notion! I got Notion (a productivity tool) a week ago and I love it so much already, but I’m still fairly new to the interface and I want to learn how to use it better lol.
- Finish the short story I started!
- Try to somewhat interact with the blogging community (I really hope I can do this <3)
how was your month? has school started for you? what are some of your time management tips? do you have bookstagram?