Long days at home have started to become normal.
It’s officially summer for me now that school is out, and I’ve been doing so many different things while in quarantine due to the extra time that I have on my hands.
So today, I‘ve decided to talk more about those things through the Stuck At Home Book Tag! I know I haven’t posted a tag or award for a long time, and since they keep piling up, I really apologize for not getting to most of them. However, since this is a tag that I probably won’t be able to publish once social distancing is a thing of the past, I thought it would be fun to answer the questions today and talk all about my quarantine
Also, if you’re confused as to why I’m posting on Wednesday, I’ve decided to change up my blogging schedule a bit! Basically, I’ll still try to post every single Saturday, but I might occasionally also post on Wednesdays.
Before I get started, please use these resources to support the Black community and demand justice for everything that has been going on. Remember to always show your support, even when this topic isn’t “trending.”
– Sign Petitions
– Text, call or email
– Educate yourself with these resources here or here
– Stream this video on repeat to donate with no money
– Support Black authors
– Buy from Black-owned independent bookstores
Overall: this site has many links including petitions, funds to donate to, organizations to support and more.
- Thank the person who nominated you. Thank you so much to Rhi @ Marshmallow Harmonies for nominating me to do this a few weeks ago! She’s such an amazing blogger who gives the best book recs – you need to check out & follow her blog asap.
- Answer all the questions down below.
- Pingback to the creator: Ellyn @ Allonsythornraxx.
- Nominate 5+ bloggers you’d like to know more about, to do this tag.
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?
I have SO many books that I’m technically supposed to be reading right now, mainly because I get most of my books from the (online now) library and they keep piling up!! But I think the most prominent book on my currently reading list is Becoming by Michelle Obama.
So far, I’m only halfway through —and this is definitely different from what I normally read (YA Contemporary lol) — but Michelle Obama is so inspiring! I’ve been wanting to read this for so long, and I think I’m going to love it. I also really want to watch the documentary after I finish the book!
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE CAN’T-LEAVE-THE-HOUSE-ACTIVITY?
There are so many things I’ve been doing recently that I can’t narrow it down to just one! Here are a few of the things I’ve been doing, though:
- Binge-watching TV Shows! I am absolutely obsessed with The Good Place on Netflix, and I’ve been watching a few
a lot ofepsiodes almost every night. (it doesn’t help that each episode ends with a cliffhanger ok) I love this show so much that I could honestly write an entire review on it!!
- I’ve also been trying to read a lot, which works out most days…
- Another thing I’ve been doing is photography! My friend and I are planning on creating a special album to showcase this summer, and it’s been so much fun taking and editing all the pictures.
A BOOK YOU’VE BEEN MEANING TO READ FOREVER?
I’ve been wanting to read Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of the Universe for such a long time!! It’s definitely a favorite all around the book community, and so many amazing bloggers I follow have loved it. The majority of reviews on Goodreads have given this 5 stars, and it just sounds SO good!
I think my hold for this from the library just went through, so hopefully I can read it soon? But, like I mentioned above, I have a bunch of books that I plan on “reading soon,” so I’m not sure when I’ll get to it. I want to like this so badly, and I hope I will!
AN INTIMIDATING BOOK ON YOUR TBR?
This is definitely The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater! Don’t get me wrong: I absolutely love The Raven Cycle series and all the precious characters… but I’ve been putting off reading this for the longest time because it takes me 20-ish minutes to get invested in it. Maggie Stiefvater’s writing style is beautiful, but a bit heavy and dense, and as of now I’m longing to read just contemporaries with fluffy writing styles!
It’s also kind of intimidating that this is the last book of the series. Blue Lily, Lily Blue left so many problems to resolve, so I really hope that this is a powerful conclusion!
TOP THREE PRIORITY BOOKS ON YOUR TBR?
- Brown Girl Dreaming: I mentioned this in my post about books by Black authors I want to read soon, and many people commented on that post saying they loved it! I haven’t read a book written in verse for a long time, so I’m really excited for this — I think it will be touchingly beautiful!
- You Should See Me In A Crown: This book has been on my TBR for so long, and it was one of my most anticipated 2020 releases! The cover is stunning, the premise sounds very beautiful, the f/f romance sounds adorable and if you can’t already tell, I have very high expectations.
- The Raven King: Like I mentioned above, I’ve been putting off reading this for… a few months, mostly because I am the biggest mood reader ever! which i’m trying to change but then it just makes reading feel like a chore :(( But I really miss the Gangsey, the mysterious world and the special feeling this series has, so I hope I can read this soon?
RECOMMEND A SHORT BOOK?
Other Words for Home is the most beautiful Middle Grade novel written in verse! I mentioned it in my post about heartwarming MG novels by Asian authors last month, which just goes to show how much I love it because I’m mentioning it again.
I know this is over 300 pages long, but it’s written in verse, so it really isn’t that long of read! I read this in about 2 hours, and the blend of powerful themes about growth and identity as well as the beautiful writing made it one of my favorite novels. I will keep recommending Other Words For Home to everyone I know because it’s just that amazing of a book!
RECOMMEND A LONG BOOK?
Scythe is another one of my favorite books due to the compelling ideas and themes it explores that truly make you think. It’s over 400 pages and yet, even though I’ve read it twice, each of those times I was hooked on page one and couldn’t put it down!
The worldbuilding in this novel is truly amazing, I’ll always be in awe of how Neal Shusterman expertly crafted it. It’s so interesting to read about how the characters change throughout as well! I just love this book and if you haven’t read it yet, definitely go pick it up.
SOMETHING YOU’D LOVE TO DO WHILE STUCK AT HOME?
I made a (very long) quarantined summer bucket list with my friend, so there are countless things I want to try to do while stuck at home! But I think the things I’m most excited for are:
- Redecorating My Bedroom: This has been a project on my mind ever since last year, especially because I love interior design! I think this summer might be the perfect time for me to begin redecorating.
- Learning Spanish: I’ve wanted to learn Spanish for so long, but I’ve never really taken the initiative to do more than 5 minutes of practice on Duolingo each day! I’m hoping to change that soon and try to learn more Spanish while stuck at home.
- Being More Active in the Blogiverse & Reading More Often: These past few weeks, you might have noticed that I sort of… disappeared from the blogging community. I’ve been getting back into blog hopping slowly, but I really want to be more active in the community! I’m also planning on reading a lot and tackling my tbr.
WHAT DO YOU PLAN ON READING NEXT?
I’m just going to mention books I’ve already talked about to answer this question, because I already have copies of both and really need to read them soon! (And yes, we are ignoring the fact that I have way too many books I’m supposed to be ‘currently reading’ and instead accepting that I cannot change my Mood Reader Ways)
I want to read Brown Girl Dreaming as soon as I can for all the reasons I mentioned above! And even though it might take me a while to get invested in The Raven King, I feel bad for putting it off and am planning on reading it ASAP as well.
- Amber @ Amber’s Reads
- Aditi @ One In A Million
- Sara @ Words With Wings
- Ilsa @ A Whisper of Ink
- Chloe @ Marshmallow Pudding
And anyone else who’d like to do this tag! (Also, please don’t feel pressured to do it if I tagged you!)